At Walton Family Dentistry, we offer sedation dentistry to patients in Bardstown and surrounding areas. If you’ve been wondering what procedures sedation dentistry can be used for, we’re here to help.
Laughing gas (nitrous oxide) is our preferred method of sedation at Walton Family Dentistry. Dr. Michael Walton will place a mask over your nose, and you will breathe in a mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen, which will make you feel more relaxed and comfortable. You may feel happier, or feel a bit “floaty” or “disconnected” from your body.
This helps with dental anxiety, and with issues like a strong gag reflex, or fear of numbing needles. With nitrous oxide, you can feel safer and more comfortable throughout your treatment.
Best of all, the effects wear off within about 5 minutes, and laughing gas has only very minor after-effects. You can drive yourself home or even go back to work after being sedated with laughing gas.
The Top 5 Procedures That Sedation Dentistry Is Used for at Walton Family Dentistry
We can provide sedation for just about every procedure at our office. Here are a few of the treatments that sedation dentistry can be used for at Walton Family Dentistry:
- Dental Implant Placement – The process of dental implant placement surgery involves opening a hole in the gum and jaw. By combining oral anesthetic and sedation, we can make sure that you do not feel any discomfort or pain during the placement procedure.
- Dental Crown/Bridge Preparation – To prepare for the placement of a dental crown or bridge, you must have quite a bit of enamel removed from your teeth. The vibrations and pressure of the dental drill can still cause discomfort, even with numbing. Sedation with laughing gas can help with this and keep you feeling comfortable throughout treatment.
- Dental Fillings – Any damaged or decayed enamel must be removed from your tooth with a dental drill before your tooth is filled. With nitrous sedation, you can ensure that you get through your filling without any feelings of pain or discomfort.
- Tooth Extraction – Tooth extraction can be very intimidating, even though the process of extracting a tooth is very simple. Numbing is typically enough to ensure you do not feel any pain when your tooth is removed, but laughing gas can help you deal with the fear and anxiety that are common when having one or more teeth extracted.
- Veneer Preparation – Similar to crowns and fillings, the veneer preparation process requires you to have a thin layer (0.5mm or less) of enamel removed from your teeth. Most patients opt to be sedated during this process to ensure their comfort.
Get the Dental Care You Need Without Pain at Walton Family Dentistry
Sedation dentistry with laughing gas is a great way to overcome feelings of fear and anxiety and feel more calm and safe during your dental appointment. If you need dental care in Bardstown, don’t wait. Contact Walton Family Dentistry at (502) 350-1151 for an appointment, or come to our office at 121 S. Salem Drive, Bardstown, KY 40004 to get started.